Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Good news and bad news

First the good news. I got the official results on the CT scan for Nicholas' cochlear implant. He has the parts and can get the implant! Our next visit with the surgeon and audiologist is Nov. 12.

Now the bad news. Nicholas is currently in the hospital. His soft spot has been bulging so we brought him to the ER on Sunday. The CT and x-rays showed the shunt and his ventricles looked good. The bulge has gone down and come back and gone back down and back up so I brought him back to the ER yesterday. They repeated the CT and it showed a slight dilation compared to Sunday's CT. We have seen a nurse practitioner and physician's assistant from neurosurgery and they think his shunt is starting to malfunction. His neurosurgeon is currently in surgery so we have to wait until he looks at the scan and decides what to do.

1 comment:

  1. I am sorry to hear that. The shunt can be so tricky. My son has a shunt that fails intermittently and it's hard to know when to take them in (especially once that soft spot closes).

    I pray for the best for Nicholas.