We took Nicholas to the ER yesterday morning. Thursday night he was up all night screaming and threw up Tylenol. I had been worried about his shunt for over a week because of a little swelling but he didn't show signs of a malfunction until Thursday night. The shunt in his lateral ventricle wasn't working and they were able to get him into surgery yesterday afternoon. His neurosurgeon was out of town so a different doctor did it. She said that the valve and the catheter weren't working. She also said that the valve not working is very rare- only our child. She said that when she got down the burr hole there was some scar tissue and under the scar tissue there was a pool of CSF that just kept pouring out because it couldn't drain into his body. She replace the valve and catheter and said if all goes well he could go home on Sunday after 48 hours of antibiotics.
He slept all day and night yesterday. He lost both his IV's and they had 4 people try to get a new one in and after sticking him about 10 times they gave up. One nurse mentioned that he might need a central line. I said he isn't getting a central line for antibiotics and there has to be something he can take orally. He also vomited twice last night after drinking Pedilayte. They called a doctor and he consulted with neurosurgey. The decided to give him some medicine to stop the vomiting and to do oral antibiotics. This all took about 3 hours to do and he was finally left alone by 3am.
Today he is still sleeping- which isn't a good sign because that could mean something is wrong with a shunt along with the vomiting. He vomited again this morning and they did another CT. They gave him a shot of antibiotics and won't do an IV unless it is needed for something besides the antibiotics. He still isn't peeing well and is little swollen. We are waiting for neurosurgery to do their rounds and tell us the results of the CT.